The overall objective of the project is to enhance ESCWA member countries' capacity to collect, process, analyse and disseminate trade data to strengthen the formulation, monitoring and evaluation of national plans and policies, including those in the context of international and regional trade negotiations.
The main objective can be broken down in five parts, namely
1. Improve recording of basic information (at Customs and other offices) necessary for creating complete IMTS;
2. Improve the validity and internal consistency of IMTS at National Statistics Offices (NSO);
3. Enhance dissemination of IMTS including trade indices;
4. Create capacity for recording, compiling and disseminating e-commerce statistics;
5. Provide an opportunity to establishing a network of trade statistics experts at national, regional and international level