Within the context of regional preparation for Rio+20, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) and the Arabic Industrial Development and Mining Organization (AIDMO) are organizing in cooperation with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)/ Regional Office for Western Asia in Bahrain, the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ) and the League of Arab States/ Technical Secretariat of the Council of Arab Ministers Responsible for the Environment a conference on “The Role of Green Industries in Promoting Socio-Economic Development in the Arab Countries”, which will be held during the period from 28 to 30 September 2011: 28-29 September at ESCWA Headquarters, whereby a field technical visit will be organized in coordination with the local Lebanese authorities on the third day(30 September 2011), to Lebanese factories active in the area of green industries.
The conference aims at encouraging Arab Countries to adopt the concept of green industries and develop a common understanding & position regarding the outcomes of Rio+20 objectives and themes. In particular, the conference is convened under the slogan: “Green Industries for the provision of employment opportunities” and addresses the following themes/topics:
• The concept of Green Industries and the requirements to promote this concept in the Arab countries.
• The international & regional initiatives aimed at reinforcing the principle of “Greening” in various socio-economic areas and the preparation for RIO+20 meetings.
• Economic, Social & Environmental benefits resulting from the adoption of Green Industry policies & techniques.
• Green Industry and utilization of natural resources (Energy, Water, etc…)
• Green Industry for the protection of the environment & climate change mitigation and adaptation.
• The importance of the Financial Institutions’ role to support investments in Green Industries in the Arab region.
• The role of Green Industry in job creation and combating unemployment & poverty.
• The role of knowledge sharing and technology transfer & adaptation to local conditions in the establishment of Green Industries.