Towards the second review and appraisal exercise of MIPAA, and in line with resolution 2010/14 of the Economic and Social Council, ESCWA, in its work programme for 2011, has developed a road map to carry out four preparatory activities, as follows:
(1) To publish a Social Policy Brief on “Reinforcing Social Equity: Mainstreaming Ageing Issues in the Process of Development Planning in the ESCWA Region”. The objective of this Social Policy Brief on ageing is twofold: (i) to highlight the challenges that Member Countries are faced with in their endeavor to mainstream ageing in national development plans, and (ii) to identify policy actions that are needed to reinforce ageing mainstreaming as part of a social equity approach to social development.
(2) To publish a Demographic Profile of the older persons. The objective of this Profile is to provide policymakers with a reference that delineates the trends and patterns of changes in the age structure of older persons, and underlines their implications for development.
(3) To request Member Countries to prepare Country Reports on national follow up on the Implementation of MIPAA.
(4) To organize the Second Regional Review Meeting of The Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing (MIPAA), in the UN House, Beirut, Lebanon, during the period 7-8 December 2011.
In the context of the second review and appraisal exercise of MIPAA, the Second Regional Review Meeting aims at achieving the following objectives:
(1) To discuss the national reports and assess adherences of governments to MIPAA;
(2) To identify obstacles to the implementation of MIPAA (institutional, structural, and circumstantial barriers);
(3) To review and appraise the implementation of MIPAA in the region;
(4) To come up with a set of recommendations that would constitute an agenda for the full implementation of MIPAA.
For more information, please contact Ms. Batool Shakoori, Chief of the Population and Social Development Section, at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org